Eid al Fitr
I am writing my essay on Eid al Fitr; the most important Islamic Holiday. Millions of Muslim’s all around the world celebrate this great event, even giving it a symbol; a crescent moon with a star to the right. Eid al Fitr is a three day celebration and reward for all Muslims. It is celebrated on the day after the Holy month of Ramadan; Ramadan is when Muslims show appreciation to God by fasting from sunrise to sunset for an entire month. The time of Eid al Fitr changes each year because Ramadan is based on the lunar calendar.
Even though I still celebrate Eid al Fitr since I moved to the United States there are a lot things about celebrating it that I miss. I miss going to the Eid prayers at the large Mosque and hearing the calls to prayer throughout the city and just feeling the strength of the Muslims all coming together for this common celebration. I miss the feeling of satisfaction and relief that Ramadan is over and that the next month is starting and returning our lives back to normal. It is a sense of community that is felt and missed on my part.
The holiday originated in the Middle East by the Prophet Mohammed in 610 A.D. This celebration marks the end of the ninth month Ramadan and begins the tenth month Shawwal in the Islamic calendar with happiness and satisfaction for the ability to sacrifice for Allah. The reasoning for this celebration is to promote peace, strengthen the feelings of brotherhood and family and to return back to the normal course of life after a month of self-denial and religious devotion. Eid al Fitr is still observed by Muslims because it is a part of their religion, culture, and because Muslims want to follow their Prophet Mohammed. Eid is a large part of a Muslims life, a large part of mine. It is a celebration of thanks, of peace, of happiness, victory, remembrance, and forgiveness.
 Eid al Fitr is my family’s favorite holiday. My family and I cannot wait to celebrate. A week before Eid al Fitr my family starts preparing for the celebration by buying new clothes, getting haircuts, and shopping for gifts. We like to look our best during the celebration. We enjoy it because it gives us an opportunity to all gather together and become reunited; but really what I enjoy the most is opening the presents and the food.
We celebrate Eid al Fitr by praying, decorating our homes, listening to music, eating a lot, opening presents, and gathering with friends and family. On the first day of Eid, my family celebrates the holiday very similar to the way many other Muslims do. We gather together at my father’s house to decorate, open the gifts and then we usually play games like monopoly or card games and listen to Eid music. Afterwards we all go out to dinner at a restaurant; the restaurant changes every year. On the second and third days of Eid al Fitr, my family treats the children out to places they choose for entertainment and food. Many families often celebrate at home by cooking favorite foods that have been passed down through the generations like stuffed grape leaves or in Arabic called warak enub or roasted lamb.

7 comments: